Join the conversation

The Natural Human Diet

ypreston
Posted by ypreston at 06/04/2012

After becoming a vegan, I only took information from other vegan sources. A few blogs I stumbled upon convinced me that humans were naturally herbivores!

I decided to further look into this, and I found that we are in fact omnivores, by reading journals published by anthropologists.
But I also came to find that our diets are extremely flexible to our environment, and nutritionists say that humans can be healthy with either an omnivorous diet or a diet as an herbivore.

I think this is really interesting information, if there were any other vegans out there who were wondering!

Responses

ahimsa32fa
ahimsa32fa09/13/2012 08:21:42
Your conclusions are correct. Eating meat was an important part of our evolutionary tale. Even today, many people don't have access to a better diet and eat whatever is available, meat, whatever.
But you can't argue that a plant-based diet is not the best for the vast majority of people, and of course it's the best for the environment and the animals...

Donny Lutz
Author
groovychick
groovychick09/22/2012 16:36:28
Have you ever noticed that humans do not have super sharp, pointy canine teeth like a dog or other meat eating animal? That is because we were not meant to eat meat.
DeGoshReed
DeGoshReed09/27/2012 10:50:25
I think it was more of a scavenger diet we had eating bugs and cooking animals killed by other animals or that died from sickness. Meat is not the primary food for a human. We can live with out taking life, so shouldn't we? Our body's will be sick if we eat too much meat. (As in the western diet) with out a doubt our diet was and still should be centered around plants if not free from meat entirely.

Forum moderated by HappyCowGirl

You need to be logged in or registered to post.