Join the conversation

How crazy is this?!

PandaGirl
Posted by PandaGirl at 01/29/2015

OK, bit of background. I am coeliac and also suffer from Crohn's disease (although currently this is in remission) and recently diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis. I suffer a lot with pain and fatigue.

I have had to gradually transition to vegetarianism because my body doesn't like big diet changes. I was warned not to do it by my GP because I am prone to vitamin and mineral deficiencies, particularly B12.

My diet now consists of lots of vegetables, fruit, nuts, gluten free grains, some beans and lentils (the ones my gut will tolerate) tofu, seaweed, unsweetened almond or coconut milk, occasional Quorn pieces, organic eggs, cheese, yoghurt, and I do occasionally eat clams or mussels (bivalves) because of the B12 issue. And of course, the odd bit of treat food. But I find I don't crave sugar as much as I used to.

My GP thought I would not thrive on this and I would come to him sick in no time. But my last lot of blood tests? First time in 5 years I don't need any B12 shots, despite reduced dairy intake my calcium is better than it's ever been, and potassium is normal instead of on the edge. I have had anaemia every winter for 5 years, and this year? Iron levels are fine. And only one cold this winter compared to my usual three or four by now.

Just goes to show hey.....

Responses

ahimsa32fa
ahimsa32fa at 01/31/2015 12:08:35
Not all doctors have what I consider an adequate education in nutrition. I'd suggest looking for a doctor who knows more about vegan diets.

I'd suggest limiting the eggs. I met the first American ever to get a Phd in Nutrition years ago, and he believed that eating more than three eggs a week puts your heart at risk.

Is the cheese and yogurt you eat from made from milk? I eat only vegan cheese and yogurt. You may not be aware of the many reasons to avoid dairy products.

I wrote a book years ago that addresses dairy products that was endorsed by a Pulitzer Prize nominee John Robbins, and Neal Barnard,the founder of the Physician's Committee for Responsible Medicine.

I suggest that you consult them at pcrm.org with any questions you have about nutrition that aren't answered here.
Alyssasmithsweet
Alyssasmithsweet at 07/12/2015 03:01:33
I agree with ahimsa32fa, not all doctors or dietitians have adequate education. I was once told as long as you eat something, that is all that counts. I was floored. I had to find a new doctor with a quickness. Half of the time I believe they are guessing.

You need to be logged in or registered to post.