Join the conversation

Vegan in Soll, Tyrol, Austria

JSAboy
Posted by JSAboy at 07/30/2013

Don't be put off by what you might hear about going to Austria as a vegan. I'm just back from a fantastic family holiday in beautiful Soll, up in the magnificent Tyrol mountains halfway between Salzburg and Innsbruck.
We stayed at the Hotel Tyrol there which was one of the Austrian hotels featured in the Inghams and Crystal travel brochures which advertises as catering for vegans. They took great care of me with lovely five course vegan meals every night (only the night that we arrived was disappointing) - and seven course meals once a week! Breakfast was less encouraging as I had to bring my own vegan-friendly cereal, bread and soya milk but even at breakfast time there was a big array of fresh fruits and fruit salads, jams, crispbread etc - and it was not a hardship for me to bring my own vegan bread and cereal bought from the local MPreis supermarket. My having a little explanation printed in German of what vegans eat seemed to help too.
In the village of Soll I also had a lovely vegan pasta meal at Ristorante Giovanni where the service was as good as the food.
The nearby MPreis had a good selection of soya milk and soya desserts - and Manner Neopolitaner wafers, chocolately vegan wafers were on sale there and all over the area we stayed and were a hit with the whole family.
The Spar supermarket at Hopfgarten im Brixental, which we got to via the gondolas, had a great selection of vegetarian and vegan food, including a vegan goulash which the staff at the Spar restaurant kindly agreed to heat for me in their microwave so I could eat it outside. They sold a packet of individual portion size veggie pates, almost all of which were vegan - and there seemed to be a nice wholefood shop there which sold vegetarian things too but which was closed the day we were there.
Eating out in some other parts of Soll was more difficult but I was able to grab pasta and even dairy free pizza at a couple of other restaurants. At other times I just grabbed a plate of chips if we were eating up in the mountains - and the beer is vegan and was fantastic everywhere! We also ate out in the Heart of Joy Cafe, Salzburg albeit a bit off the beaten path (though near the Mirabell Gardens of The Sound of Music fame and the food there was very nice - and as the Happy Cow website shows there are quite a few other places to go to in various other parts of Austria - so if you haven't been before and were holding back, don't! We had our best family holiday ever there - even though I had feared the worst food-wise before we went.

Responses

No response yet.

You need to be logged in or registered to post.