Join the conversation

Italian Restaurants that don't serve veal

Sarah Kishler
Posted by Sarah Kishler at 07/14/2013

I really enjoy pasta. It's my favorite food and I love some good veggie pasta and wine and a great Italian restaurant. However, I recently made the decision I don't want to eat at restaurants that serve veal, and unfortunately so many Italian restaurants do. So I thought I'd see if I could ask the all-knowing crowd about Italian restaurants that do not have veal on the menu? I'm in the Bay Area but I'm sort of interested in generating of list of veal-free Italian restaurants all over the USA, if not the world. Thanks!

Responses

StephenS
StephenS at 07/16/2013 13:51:20
I'm more interested in Italian restaurants that don't serve meat. Stick with them and you're really supporting the cows :)
DC1346
DC1346 at 07/16/2013 18:48:11
I agree with Stephen S.

What is the point of avoiding restaurants that serve veal if these same restaurants serve beef, chicken, pork, and seafood?

Are the lives of these other creatures any less precious than that of a baby cow?

It's just a thought.

David

Sarah Kishler
Sarah Kishler at 07/17/2013 10:48:45
Well, if you know of Italian restaurants that don't serve meat at all, that counts as an answer to my question. I'm certainly interested in knowing about them, and would love to support them!

And no, it's not about baby cows' lives being more precious than any others. Happy Cow's listings include "vegetarian friendly" restaurants but their criteria for that bars restaurants that serve such extreme cruelty foods as foie gras, veal, etc. That's why I thought it would be a good question to ask here.

DC1346
DC1346 at 07/17/2013 19:41:24
Sarah - I agree about foie gras since the goose liver for these animals is significantly enlarged via forced feeding with funnels literally being shoved down the bird's throat.

I don't see the point about veal unless you're making a point about their age. Depending upon the type of veal being processed, a slaughterhouse will kill them when they're as young as 1 month or as old as 1 year.

Not to be callous (and keep in mind that I am vegan), meat animals are raised to be slaughtered and with this being said, I'm not sure why age should be a factor. If age isn't a factor, I'd appreciate learning why eating veal is more horrific than eating any other type of meat.

Since vegans are a distinct minority, I regret that persons of conscience who abstain from going to restaurants that serve veal are unlikely to affect that restaurant's business. There simply aren't enough vegans for us to have any economic impact.

I am hopeful that one day this will change. When I was a child, people could smoke anywhere they wanted. Magazines and television ran ads about smoking. There was no such thing as a non-smoking section of a restaurant.

How times have changed.

Within my lifetime, smoking has been largely banned in public areas and on board any U.S. domestic flights.

The anti-smoking lobby won through education and through clearly demonstrated medical research that clearly showed the danger of smoking.

Perhaps one day public attitudes towards the consumption of meat will also change as research like the China Study demonstrates the potential long term health consequences of a non-vegan diet.

Veganwithavengance
Veganwithavengance at 09/19/2013 12:15:40
It is an odd thing to avoid a restaurant for that reason. If they serve milk, they might as well be serving veal. If they are serving dead cows or chickens or pigs or fish or anyone else and their secretions then what exactly are you saying. I am not saying never eat at a non-vegetarian restaurant (I define vegetarian here as eating no animal products or by-products whatsoever) but don't make decisions based on one animal because it sends an unclear message.

I had the same problem with people who boycotted BP after their destruction of the Gulf coast. They weren't boycotting driving or at least the major gas companies who all have drilled and spilled and caused major destruction they were picking and choosing and not sending a clear message.

We should work with restaurants to get more vegetarian options (again no animal products or by-products what some people incorrectly define as veganism) and show them that vegetarianism is more profitable for them and better for the animals but do it a a reasoned pace. Don't go to fast to quickly or they will go backwards.

I get the concept but I think a better idea would be to find vegetarian specific Italian restaurants or I guess at the very least meat-free ones.

You need to be logged in or registered to post.