Join the conversation

What food can you bring on airplane?

malcontent
Posted by malcontent at 05/15/2010

The airline (Eva) I'll be flying on has vegetarian options but I want to bring something just in case it's inedible.

Responses

Tatiana
Tatiana05/15/2010 14:07:47
Where are you flying from/to?
malcontent
malcontent05/15/2010 19:40:18
From Los Angeles to Taipei, Taiwan where I'll stay for about a week then to Hong Kong (also a week) before I fly back.
webmaster
webmaster05/15/2010 20:09:18
Hi Malcontent,
Good thinking cause it's a long flight. I'm pretty sure that you can bring a sandwich, any kinds of snacks, trail mix, etc... with you on the flight, you probably just can't carry any fresh whole fruits with you off the plane once you arrive in Taipei.
We'll be doing this trip soon too, with a baby, so if there are any restrictions please post them here once you find out.
JohnnySensible
JohnnySensible05/16/2010 21:12:36
Ask for "Buddhist Vegetarian" / Vegan meals at least 72 hours before departure - EVA Air food can be very good.

Once you land in both Taiwan & Hogn Kong you are in 'veggie heaven'.

Do not pack anything with wasabi in it - it can easily be weaponized & will probably set off explosives detectors.

============================================================

http://www.evaair.com/html/b2c/English/tips/Airport_service/Baggage/#a5

Free carry-on items

In addition to the hand-carry baggage, every passenger may carry, without additional charge, the following free carry-on items:
1. One piece of laptop or purse or small backpack or briefcase or camera case.
2. Reasonable quantity of coat, hat, scarf, shopping bag, food, drink and other personal belongings.

Above items should be safely stowed in the closed overhead bin, closet or under your seat. If you put your free carry-on item in the seat pocket, it should be within the vertical line from the seat back and under no circumstances can it protract into the aisle.

Tatiana
Tatiana05/17/2010 00:28:38
Johnny has all the info, that's awesome!

I'm sure this is obvious but remember no liquids, either.
malcontent
malcontent05/17/2010 19:10:17
Wow, I had no idea that you could make wasabi into a weapon. It's unlikely that I'll bring some on board since I don't like it anyway.

Thanks, guys. I think I'll look into bring sandwiches/ homemade calzones, fruits and/or bars. The flights are still more than a month away so you might go before I do, webmaster. :o)
JohnnySensible
JohnnySensible05/17/2010 20:15:10
The 'wasabi' line was me jesting.

I was crying from a 'wasabi hit' as I was replying to the posts.

......imagining 'wasabi spray' instead of 'pepper spray'.

I adore wasabi but it always brings me to tears..

You need to be logged in or registered to post.