Join the conversation

Veganism in Germany- help please

LIRON
Posted by LIRON at 05/01/2010

Hey :)

Im going to fly to Germany on wednesday, and stay there in an education centre named after Kurt Lowenstein in the village werftpfuhl (located 30 kmf from Berlin). Of course that I have clarified that Im vegan, and was told that it would be considered.
I'd like to get some tips how to manage, because im not sure which food is available in this education centre, and if there is any supermarket or veggie store nearby. Im landing at Schonefeld airport in Berlin, can I get some necessary products there? or should I bring food from home?

thanks!

Responses

lazrblu
lazrblu05/02/2010 09:26:10
Hi, I checked the website. There it says (unfortunately only in German), that they'd consider special meal requests like vegetarian food. It also says that small kitchenettes are available in some of the apartments.

If I were you, once you arrive there, I'd ask them if you could have a word with the chefs, just to make sure that they have the same understanding about what veganism actually means, i.e. what they can use when cooking food for you and what not. But I guess you already told them via email.

Werftpfuhl seems to be a rather small town, so I wouldn't count on a veggie store. Supermarkets should be available.

Depending on how long you are staying, I'd bring some vegan cookies or some other easy to consume food with me. I wouldn't count on buying stuff at Schönefeld. If you have to, you should be able to do that at Werftpfuhl. But you should try to get the house to prepare the food the way it's suitable for you. That's probably the easiest way.

Have a good stay.
y.

You need to be logged in or registered to post.