Join the conversation

Release orca Morgan back into the wild!

3dayz
Posted by 3dayz at 04/30/2012

Orca Morgan was found malnourished and dehydrated in the Wadden Sea, off the northwestern coast of the Netherlands on the 23rd of June, 2010. Although EU law states that captured orcas must be returned to the wild, the Dolfinarium at Harderwijk who 'rescued' her had no intention of releasing her. Morgan was sold to Loro Parque, Tenerife and now lives in a small unnatural environment away from her family.

Campaign update

At this moment the 'Orka Coalitie' - a collaboration of 7 animal welfare and animal rights organisations (including our umbrella organization EDEV) - continues the legal battle to undo the decision made by a Dutch court which allowed Morgan to be moved to Loro Parque.

At the same time GAP/PGS is actively campaigning in Spain to free Morgan from her small concrete prison. Similar joined efforts on all fronts have proved very successful in the past and we are determined to add this campaign to the list of victories for animals!

While legal battles continue, please keep the pressure on Loro Parque to release orca Morgan and send a protest mail today! More info + example letter at 3dayz.com/entertainment/142-release-orca-morgan-back-into-the-wild

Responses

happycowgirl
happycowgirl at 04/30/2012 19:50:42
Thank u so much for posting this.

On a somewhat related note, if anyone is visiting the Los Angeles area I HIGHLY recommend you take a whale watching tour on Captain Dave's Dolphin and Whale Safari.
http://www.dolphinsafari.com
This guy is the real deal, volunteering his time to disentangle dolphins, whales and other marine life caught in fishing nets.
happycowgirl
happycowgirl at 04/30/2012 20:00:03
Oh, also, on my Capt'n Dave tour I was talking w/ a dude who does actual marine life rescues. Among other things he told me that it was almost impossible to get SeaWorld (San Diego or Orlando) out to help with a whale or dolphin rescue unless they could take the animal or it was big press for them. So I totally believe what 3dayz is saying that this Dolphinarium that 'rescued' Morgan had no intention of returning her to the wild.

You need to be logged in or registered to post.