Join the conversation

vegan greece?

yogs
Posted by yogs at 04/05/2010

Hi all, we're thinking of going to greece,(not sure what part yet),can anyone offer any advice as what is the best part to vist and how vegan freindly it may be?

Responses

Cascadian
Cascadian04/05/2010 18:55:24
Hi Yogs!
Other than the listings here and the info you'd likely come across by doing a web-search, I have no suggestions for you but I'd love to hear about what you find and how you enjoy your trip to Greece. :)
gr8vegan
gr8vegan04/28/2010 02:05:47
I've got some info on my website www.vegan-europe.com, but its all in my reviews on Happycow, too. Basically you're in trouble in Greece. You'll be restricted to eating cucumbers and tomatoes for most meals. We were able to find mexican and veg sushi and cheeseless pizza in athens. Santorini has one good veg restaurant. Be brave, at least you'll look great in your swimsuit with all the starving!
ampallang
ampallang05/10/2010 15:07:30
you can also tell people you are fasting- because of the orthodox religion people understand what that is.. its the same as vegan ... though most people dont eat oil some days.
Also sometimes they eat fish.. just learn the word for fish and say no to it.

You should be able to find things without problems. Some traditional things can be vegan. the salads, also there are many turkish communities there.. so you can probablly find somethings in different places.

Dont stress too much
JohnnySensible
JohnnySensible05/11/2010 02:51:09
Forget restaurants / cafes - you will do just fine buying incredible Greek fruits & veggies at farmers markets.

.....especially figs, figs, figs.

"To eat figs off the tree in the very early morning, when they have been barely touched by the sun, is one of the exquisite pleasures of the Mediterranean."
— Elizabeth David - one of her better quotes!

See - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_fig - for more.
MFaithful
MFaithful08/06/2011 08:27:15
new restaurant in Athens called Avocado #30 Nikis str
near Syntagma square. Excellent. enjoy and very reasonable
you could get filled for 5 euros on..
dimucci
dimucci08/09/2011 12:01:22
Eating in Greek tavernas can be an enjoyable, if ultimately limiting, experience. We have been assured by many taverna owners and seen in many kitchens that vegetable dishes are cooked separately from meat dishes in vegetable oils. But, you should always check. Beans of various sorts, potatoes roasted with lemon juice, avocado, salads, french fries, rice and spinach, wild greens, lentil dishes and so on. Look here for some ideas of what to look out for:
greekfood.about.com/od/vegetarianrecipe1/tp/bestvegrecipes.htm
We have ate well from (large) Crete to (tiny) Symi.
Dia-Pia
Dia-Pia09/04/2011 07:56:39
in the big cities it may be easy to find something veggie, but in the country it's a bit different...

You need to be logged in or registered to post.