Join the conversation

In Search of A Beginner's Vegan Cookbook

ohgingersnap
Posted by ohgingersnap at 08/23/2014

I'm slowly transitioning, but I'm looking for a vegan cookbook geared towards someone who has never cooked vegan dishes before. A lot of the ingredients in some of the books, I've never even heard of, and I have no idea how to properly cook it... I just want some easy meals that taste great. Once I get the hang out it, I'd like more complex ones. I also enjoy seeing photos in cookbooks which I haven't see much of in any of the ones I've seen. I've tried Engine 2 Kitchen Rescue, Oh She Glows, Forks over Knives and Ani's Raw Food Essentials. I just want something easy to understand!! Simple, simple, simple!

Responses

saveur
saveur08/24/2014 14:51:13
For super simple, try Mayim's Vegan Table. Not too many photos, though.

I also found the China Study All-Star Cookbook to be fairly simple. There are photos (varying quality) but you will have recipes from many people. You can see which ones you like the best and then perhaps track down their other cookbooks.

Other people really like the simplicity of the Happy Herbivore cookbooks. I like her latest one, Light & Lean, the best. Photos are there.

I also really like Choosing Raw, the cookbook. Gorgeous photos. The recipes are both cooked and raw, but all very good and super fast/simple.

My other favourite simple/quicker cookbooks are 30 Minute Vegan Soup's On, More Quick Fix Vegan and Isa Does It.

Hope this helps! There are lots of options.
elizabetsy
elizabetsy08/24/2014 19:33:30
I have been enjoying "Veganomicon" by Isa Chandra Moskowitz and Terry Hope Romero.

It includes sections on stocking a pantry, kitchen equipment, cooking terminology and basic cooking techniques. Unfortunately, it has very few photos.

While not all of the recipes are simple, many are, and they offer options for any meal and every occasion.
AllyG
AllyG08/25/2014 01:34:55
I like Vegetarian for Dummies which also has a vegan section. All the recipes are easily veganised if they are not already vegan. There's also reader favourites.

I know what you mean about strange ingredients.

The other good book us Vegan for Life and that helps with getting background knowledge on nutrition and balancing your meals.

My favourite recipe books are Revive. It's a cafe in New Zealand but you can buy the books on amazon. No weird ingredients, but some recipes need a lot of ingredients. It's very fresh and easy to cook, no technical expertise.

Good luck.
angelakelly02
angelakelly0208/25/2014 17:38:32
I really love Adele McConnell's The Vegan Cookbook. There's no strange/bizarre ingredients that are difficult to source, there's plenty of pictures and the recipes are delicious and easy to make. She also has a blog with lots of great recipes too.
vegiehead.com/all-recipes/
ohemgee
ohemgee08/27/2014 06:49:02
I definitely recommend Veganomicon and Vegan Planet.

You need to be logged in or registered to post.