Join the conversation

Multiple recipes, same ingredients.

CandiUK
Posted by CandiUK at 07/14/2013

Hi,

I'm new to being a vegetarian (and so far loving it by the way :)

I just wondered if anybody has a good few different recipes for dinner meals that I could make out of one same set of ingredients (give or a take a few)...as I'm on a tight budget, and would find it helpful to only have to buy one big set of ingredients to start until I've learnt more new veggie recipes. Anything anybody could tell me would be really helpful.

Thanks in advance :)

Responses

DC1346
DC134607/14/2013 19:15:47
Wal-Mart sells ready to use vegetarian chicken, taco, beef, and bacon. Surprisingly enough, these TVP based items may be found in the canning aisle with the glass mason jars and lids, near the kitchenware section.

These vegan meats are surprisingly affordable ... $10.12 for the vegan beef (2 lb. 5 oz. can) and $13.14 for the taco meat (2 1/2 lb. can.)

They're produced by Augason Farms for backpackers and as emergency food supplies.

Recipes are included on the side of each can.

Rehydrating these products is simple. You add 1 part vegan meat and 2 parts water. Depending upon the meat in question, you bring it to a boil and then reduce heat and let it simmer for 3-20 minutes.

Once these meats are rehydrated, you may use them just as you would a real ground meat.

With this product you can make stews, chili, tacos, beef enchiladas, beef fried rice, and spaghetti with meat sauce (Bologense).

Add ground flax seeds, rice flour, and a liquid such as apple juice and you can make patties, meatballs, and meatloaf.

I have some free recipes at my website: unintentionalvegan.com.

Included among the free recipes are:

* Vegan curry
* Potato pancakes
* Mujadarra – A Lebanese Rice Pilaf
* Chili
* Banana Fritters
* Mushroom Congee (Chinese rice soup)
* Pad Thai
* French Toast
* Baked Potato Soup
* Ice Cream
* Chocolate Sauce
* Whipped Cream

Best wishes,

David
DC1346
DC134607/14/2013 19:39:34
I just took a look at my Augason Farm products. There's a recipe for BBQ Beef on the side of the can for beef. There's a recipe for tacos and sloppy joes on the side of the can for taco meat.

I don't know what your cooking skills are ... but if you mix the rehydrated beef with a Marinara sauce, you may enjoy spaghetti. If you get tired of the Marinara Sauce, stir in chili powder, hot sauce (if desired), and kidney beans and voila - you can have a chili.

Spaghetti sauce can also be used to make a sloppy joe. Thicken the sauce with ketchup and add a touch of mustard.

Common ingredients for spaghetti sauce, sloppy joe mix, and chili ... vegan meat, onions, tomato sauce.

Hope this helps,

David

You need to be logged in or registered to post.