Join the conversation

How Do I Reduce Fiber without Reducing Pro

JerichoMason
Posted by JerichoMason at 11/28/2013

I've been vegetarian for almost 9 months now, and have recently started getting cramped and bloated, with occasional constipation and rough stools. I believe this is because I'm getting too much fiber, but I'm having trouble finding ways to lower my fiber intake and still meet protein requirements. I'm male and weigh 193lbs, so I generally aim for 70g a day.

Generally, I eat a lot of legumes, nuts, and whole grains, tons of veggies, and a good amount of eggs and dairy.

I realize tofu is low in fiber, but I only rarely eat soy because my family has a history thyroid problems

I generally don't eat much seitan, because I'm concerned with high intakes of gluten causing long term harm

I know I could cut out some whole grains and eat simple grains and that would reduce some of my fiber, but also protein and other nutrients. I could eat more eggs and dairy, but that's not healthy either. So I'm still left with nuts and legumes being a primary protein source, both being really high in fiber. Any help or thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Responses

it_be_asin
it_be_asin12/01/2013 00:26:41
Tofu, tempeh and seitan really are the best options for low fibre vegan protein.

I have seen some chickpea and broadbean tempehs available in Sydney, but they are less available than soy tempeh and more expensive. There are also recipes and kits available for making tofu and tempeh - and you can use a whole bunch of beans to do this, not just soybeans. Converting beans into tofu and tempeh reduces the tummy troubling fibre content considerably.

A lot of the digestive problems caused by eating wheat are caused by the fructan fibre in wheat, not the gluten. As glutinous grains are high in tummy troubling fibres, gluten intolerances and sensitivities may be confused for irritable bowel symptoms related to fibre. I'm not sure I would eliminate gluten from my diet without a diagnosed gluten allergy or coeliac diseases
WallysButton
WallysButton12/03/2013 08:10:31
another suggestion is to make sure you're getting enough water. The body needs water to help process that fiber and without it, excess gas is created...
ahimsa32fa
ahimsa32fa12/15/2013 10:38:52
Go to some of the vegan websites (you're at one now, of course) and check out the problems with eggs and diary products.

I think that is where your problems arise, though it's of course not quite that simple. One can also eat too many grains, etc. It has a lot to do with how the food is prepared, how much you eat at a meal, when you eat, what you drink, etc.
bigfootmarty
bigfootmarty06/08/2014 19:38:14
I agree with the water question...

Also- I love juices and smoothies
Star the magic vegan
Star the magic vegan08/28/2014 17:06:03
Cramping and bloating sounds like gas. Separate your fruits and vegies by one hour minimum.

Constipation and rough stools is easily fixed through Vegan Herbalogy. There are herbs to tighten stools, loosen stools, release stools, take away pain from stools, etc.

Also all animal products cause problems. Go vegan! Take a vegan vitamin D3, nutritional yeast for B complex and spirulina occasionally and eat plenty of colors in your food to get all the vitamins.

This forum needs a moderator.

You need to be logged in or registered to post.