Join the conversation

Reliable source of protein for vegan

Sua Ren Yong
Posted by Sua Ren Yong at 03/15/2013

Hi,recently I have found out that legumes(except peanuts),soy,cereals,and some vegetables are moderate in purines which can cause uric acid so it is unlucky for vegans to have them in their diets every time.Those foods that are low in purines and high in protein are nuts, seeds and hempmilk only.Am I going to eat or drink only these foods to get protein everyday?

Responses

savetheanimals
savetheanimals03/15/2013 04:10:10
“Excessive consumption of animal protein badly weakens our bodies” Caldwell B. Esselstyn, MD

“The average American consumes about double the protein his or her body needs.” Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine

"Mushrooms have 56% protein" - where do you get your protein song

This song explains where vegans get there protein www.youtube.com/watch?v=n20uGGNoVdo

You don't need to worry about protein. The only time you will have a protein deficiency is if your staving so bad you have other heath problems. No one in America is starving. Purines are found in meat. Mostly in the liver and kidney. If you honestly don't want to get the stuff you listed above don't worry about protein. Just eat vegan and you will get protein. To much protein is bad for you and as listed above “The average American consumes about double the protein his or her body needs.” Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
Wint1962
Wint196203/17/2013 19:19:17
I'm still not a vegan yet, but I'm slowly eliminating meat in my daily diet. Instead of using meat, we use tofu for our meat replacement.
ahimsa32fa
ahimsa32fa03/25/2013 08:37:38
I agree with "savetheanimals", but I'd add that while you can get enough protein on a vegan diet, there are a small percentage of people who can't because of illness or circumstances like living in the far north, or in a war zone.

It's also easy to slip into a vegan diet that is deficient in protein. You can't live on soda and chips...

Perhaps the best plant source of protein is tempeh...
DougMcCallum
DougMcCallum03/25/2013 12:58:46
ahimsa32fa is correct that it easy to have a deficient diet which is why it is important to learn about your food sources. Savetheanimals has mentioned a number of ways to get protein. If you really have to avoid legumes avoid the processed vegan foods and go for real ingredients until you know what you can/cannot have. Tofu and tempeh are soybean products so may not be for you. Reading labels is very important for processed foods.
StephenS
StephenS07/13/2014 13:55:48
Nice article on "Complete Vegetarian Proteins" here;
http://greatist.com/health/complete-vegetarian-proteins

If you don't want to read the article - the quick list;
1)Quinoa - 8 grams per 1 cup serving
2)Buckwheat - 6 grams per 1 cup serving
3)Hempseed - 10 grams per 2 tablespoon serving
4)Chia - 4 grams per 2 tablespoon serving
5)Soy - 10 grams per 1/2 cup (Tofu) / 15 grams per 1/2 cup (Tempeh or Natto)
6)Microprotein (Quorn) - 13 grams per 1/2 cup serving
7)Rice and Beans - 7 grams per 1/2 cup serving
8)Ezekiel Bread - 8 grams per 2 slice serving
9)Seiten - 21 grams per 1/3 cup serving
10) Hummus and Pita - 7 grams per 1 whole wheat Pita and 2 tablespoons Hummus
11)Spirulina with Grains or Nuts - 4 grams per 1 tabesppon
12)Peanut Butter Sandwich - 15 grams for 2 slices whole wheat with 2 tablespoons Peanut Butter
StephenS
StephenS07/13/2014 14:04:11
*Bump*

This forum needs a moderator.

You need to be logged in or registered to post.