Join the conversation

Headache when switching to vegan?

skf
Posted by skf at 02/02/2013

Hello lovely happy cow community!

I'm a brand new vegan...four days. I've been a vegetarian for about a month, but the mountain of positive evidence for living a full vegan lifestyle have kept pilling higher and higher, and I finally decided that I couldn't ignore it anymore and needed to make the switch.

In the change to vegan, I not only cut out dairy and other animal products, but also out refined sugars, corn bi-products, and most processed foods. Yesterday and today, I've had stomach pains and pretty severe headaches. Is this just part of the detox process? If so, any guesses on how long it should last?

I drink plenty of water (10-12 cups/day), and I eat a wide variety of healthy, whole foods, so I really can't think of anything specifically wrong in my diet that could be causing these symptoms.

Responses

Sua Ren Yong
Sua Ren Yong03/06/2013 22:06:39
Go for medical check up.
xpressoholic
xpressoholic03/07/2013 04:15:24
same thing happened to me - had alot of headaches for the first 2 weeks.
youngin
youngin03/10/2013 13:09:38
It's just detox. Your system is just getting used to a vegan diet and that's a natural reaction. Take some painkillers if it gets really bad.
Babbo
Babbo03/15/2013 04:19:16
It sounds like your body ajusting to your dramatic lifestyle change
Gabriella251
Gabriella25105/23/2013 16:00:42
My friend went vegan and experienced the same thing. It may just be the change in diet causing this, because that's why she experienced it.
StephenS
StephenS05/23/2013 21:54:38
So curious as to how you are doing now skf. Hope you are feeling strong and healthy, vibrant and energetic in a continued vegan lifestyle. If not - drop me a line and I'll try to chat you through any questions or concerns.
For others - these feelings of discomfort and even 'sickness' are just the natural process of your body adjusting to the lack of a 'fix' from quick starches/sugars/carbs, and most likely the chemicals which make you semi dependent with a main stream western diet. Push thru it - it shouldn't last more than a week or so.
Lots of water, healthy fruits and greens (smoothies), fermented foods (miso, tempeh, sauerkraut, and treat yourself with a square of organic dark vegan chocolate every once in awhile.
DC1346
DC134605/26/2013 09:57:58
I think you should see a doctor just to be on the safe side.

When I went vegan (not having been a vegetarian), instead of having any aches, I felt tremendous urges to eat meat. I had late night cravings for chicken fried steak and burgers.

Since I'm a chef instructor, I dealt with this by creating recipes to make vegan versions of many of my favorite foods. I am now writing a 10 volume vegan cookbook series called The Unintentional Vegan, Vegan Version Recipes of Popular Comfort Foods.

The first volume of this ten cookbook series, Volume 1: Beef, is available for purchase as an e-book through Amazon. If you're an Amazon prime member, you may borrow my cookbook FOR FREE. Don't worry if you don't have a kindle reader. All e-books may be downloaded to your home computer.

I must admit that having access to familiar versions of my favorite comfort foods has made going vegan much easier.

This is not to say that I don't enjoy vegan foods that aren't vegan interpretations of other foods. Last night I made a Lebanese rice pilaf which I've blogged about for Happy Cow. If the article is approved by Eric, the webmaster, a recipe for Mujaddara will soon appear at this site.

Mujaddara is a simple one pot dish made with garlic and onions that are fried in olive oil and mixed with steamed white rice and boiled lentils.

Other favorite vegan dishes include Spaghetti with Marina Sauce, bean burritos, Chinese Congee (rice porridge), and vegetable curry.
Rickyjames123
Rickyjames12310/22/2013 01:00:31
Follow a systematic routine and avoid junk food. Drink lot of water minimum 5 liters a day.take a proper sleep of min 8 hrs.

[URL=www.ezdia.com/epad/water-filter-reviews-information-water-filter-system/6864/]WATER FILTER REVIEWS AND INFORMATION[/URL]
pps076
pps07611/07/2013 05:53:12
Congratulations on becoming a vegan.

When I became a vegan I did not experience any adverse health effects. I decided to convert from being a meat eater to a vegan over a period of 5-6 months. This is how I did it:

0-1 months = Dairy breakfast, Vegan Lunch, Meat dinner
1-2 months = Dairy & Vegan breakfast, Vegan lunch, Meat & vegan dinner
2-3 months = Dairy breakfast, Vegan lunch, Vegan dinner
3-4 months = Dairy & Vegan breakfast, Vegan lunch, Vegan dinner
4-5 months = Dairy (Very Small amount) & Vegan breakfast, Vegan lunch, Vegan dinner
5-6 months = Vegan breakfast, Vegan lunch & Vegan dinner

I also took good quality multivitamins and drank lots of distilled water & herbal teas.

Best of luck

pps076
GarrettHnatiuk
GarrettHnatiuk04/18/2014 01:43:03
My girlfriend started getting headaches as she became vegan also it was from an excessive amount of soy, particularly soy milk . She switched to rice milk and felt much better-soy can wreck havoc on your hormones. I'd much like to say for those who provided thumbs down, this was according to real life experience and when you do research on soy , things i say about soy and hormones holds true. If you are over consuming soy , you will get headaches or it may be some other dietary thing , you may have an unknown food allergy. An excessive amount of TV watching shouldn't provide you with a lot of headaches if you aren't laying down all the time, although so if you are a total couch potato, that may be it.
ahimsa32fa
ahimsa32fa04/19/2014 08:24:52
The meat and dairy industries have been putting out anti-soy propaganda for several decades. Consider the source.

This forum needs a moderator.

You need to be logged in or registered to post.