Join the conversation

Dog catching: Are they still using poles?

Worldly Wags
Posted by Worldly Wags at 10/18/2013

Here in Delhi the Worldly Wags team sees lots of dog catching; for rescues, vaccinations, or sterilizations. Most often, organizations are using poles with a noose to catch the dog, and frequently injuring the dog (further) in the process, whether by choking, spinal damage, or cutting. In India there is starting to be a movement towards catching dogs with nets, such as with Animal Aid Unlimited and Help in Suffering. I was wondering, do dog catchers still use the pole and noose to catch dogs where you live? Let me know where you are and what you have seen!

www.worldlywags.com

Responses

ahimsa32fa
ahimsa32fa at 11/08/2013 08:00:07
As a former Animal Control Officer, I used the "catch pole" many times and never saw a dog injured. Of course, it could happen, if the dog catcher does not use the pole properly, which of course speaks to the motivation of the "catcher".
Veganwithavengance
Veganwithavengance at 12/04/2013 20:07:28
"I used the "catch pole" many times and never saw a dog injured."
I don't think that is the right thing to say. People who use animals in some way or who have done so will always use similar lines. People don't want to admit they hurt or have hurt animals especially if they have a positive interest in animals. We have all done it but we should teach ourselves not too.

A pole is a weapon and is used to hurt dogs or trap them in some way it is not really "humane". Yes it might be better than other methods but we shouldn't use that as a benchmark.

I haven't seen anyone in my area using poles but I don't often see anyone catching dogs.
DunkiesandDimeys
DunkiesandDimeys at 06/18/2014 13:39:32
I'm so sorry to hear about the apathy these people are displaying. It sounds like they are not trained to use the pole the right way.

www.cafepress.com/dunkiesanddimeys
AndyT
AndyT at 06/18/2014 20:16:01
Question is also what kind of poles they are using. If you are a US Animal Control officer, you undoubtedly use a pole that is specifically made for that purpose, hopefully with the well-being of the animal as a consideration.

Of course, you could also make one yourself, using an old pole and some steel wire, which might then very well result in the dog being injured.

You need to be logged in or registered to post.