Join the conversation

Scared of Meat?!? :(

lifeofcows
Posted by lifeofcows at 04/07/2012

Hey guys. Anyways, I've been a vegetarian since the age of 9 to 14. After half a decade of vegetarianism and malnutrition; I'm starting to feel weaker, more lightheaded, worse in general. I'm trying to eat healthy but the rest of my family eats meat, and neither I or they have time to create something healthy vegetarian wise. I'm thinking about temporarily getting back to eating fish at least 1 - 2 a week for the next half a decade or so, it just because I'm in the process of growing. Problem is, I'm too scared to even look at it, much less eat it. I need it, but I can't find myself getting to eat it. Any tips for comfronting my fear? I know this is a lame thread, but I searched on the Internet for solutions and I couldnt find any... Thank you :)

Responses

happycowgirl
happycowgirl04/08/2012 12:43:33
Here's the deal. Adding fish to your diet is not the magic pill that's going to make you healthier. We need to get you on the path to being a *healthy* vegetarian. This will involve new grocery shopping habits and you are going to have to be the one (at least at first) who goes with to the store and picks out the items.

Don't worry about not having time to prepare anything. I can't cook to save my life. I burn microwave popcorn, I'm that bad. But I've learned to eat healthy in spite of my deficiencies in the kitchen.

Who does the grocery shopping in your family? Do you go with them to the store and/or will they let you go to the store with them to buy the items you need?

proud_veggie
proud_veggie05/02/2012 11:27:55
lifeofcows i am in the same position, and i dont know what to do. a month or so ago i accidentally ate a bit of minced cow (ugh) that was the first time i had for ages and i freaked out. i made myself sick to get rid of it but i feel really bad still :( my parents want me to eat fish again but i dont think i can.
knightofalbion
knightofalbion05/07/2012 10:37:13
I'm sorry to hear you're having problems.
You're a vegetarian, not a vegan?
It could be a protein issue...
A free-range egg is the best source of high grade protein.
Skimmed milk powder is loaded with protein too. Taken together they comprise 100% protein. Bodybuilders use this mix. It's way better than beef steak or any sort of flesh food.
A vegan option is baked beans and wholemeal bread which combined together makes a very good complete protein meal.
It could be a blood sugar issue...
Are you eating a filling breakfast? Something like oats is very good as this is a slow-releasing carbohydrate food. Oats, soya milk and bananas is what I have for breakfast every day and it keeps me going till lunch.
If you're not already doing so, a banana or other piece of fruit mid-morning will give you an energy boost.

This forum needs a moderator.

You need to be logged in or registered to post.