Join the conversation

Skin care question?

meg97
Posted by meg97 at 10/23/2009

I have a question regarding my skin. I've been a vegan for about 5 months now. Almost the entire time my face has been broken out with acne. I've always had a problem with acne, but never to this extent! I thought that eliminating dairy would have a positive effect on my skin, but it seems to have made it worse!
Has anyone else had a similar problem? Any suggestions of what I could add or eliminate from my diet? Without compromising my veganism of course!

Responses

Barleycorn
Barleycorn10/30/2009 20:10:29
I'd suggest a little more zinc-containing foods - yeast, mushrooms, sunflower seeds,soya foods. If that doesn't work, a date or fig alternately each day for magnesium.
Think minerals, not vitamins.
Give away pills, supplements and junk foods, and OF COURSE tobacco and alcohol (is there such a thing as vegans who use them?). I once met a guy who reckoned he ate a healthy diet, which seemed to me to consist of alcohol coupled with a handful of vitamin tablets.
Jeffrey
Jeffrey11/03/2009 00:05:35
Can you give more details about your diet - what kind of oils and how much of them, and which foods do you eat the most of?
sherrylouz
sherrylouz12/07/2009 18:39:51
Many of us suffer from pimples/acne and blackheads and they really mar facial appearance. With age these problems worsen your appearance. A simple home made remedy for this is applying a mixture that's made up of equal quantities of glycerine, lime juice and rose water on the skin before going to sleep. It's quite effective!
Andrew Karpinski
Andrew Karpinski01/09/2010 05:32:23
Hi

you can use coconut oil with rose hips oil on your skin (manuka honey is good as well). It should work for you fine, in long term of course.

Second thing is that your acne may be a direct effect of detoxification so make sure that your diet is correct and you drink lots of water and green tea.

Cheers

Andrew Karpinski

www.your-healthy-foods.com
JohnnySensible
JohnnySensible01/11/2010 19:07:15
Spam elsewhere Andrew.

"If you want to be healthy and live long and happy life meat should be on your plate at least two times a week."

Your site is a warped, cruel disgrace!

animalsrule
animalsrule01/14/2010 19:56:36
Well, he is a non veg-no offense
Tatiana
Tatiana01/15/2010 10:56:26
He may be non-veg (which we have lots of on this site, which is fine, but they are mostly here to learn about vegetarianism and health) but he is on a vegetarian website promoting a website that specifically encourages meat consumption, so I can see where JS is coming from on this. And don't be offended by JS, he is a passionate guy, he means well :)
evelyn68
evelyn6805/25/2010 02:54:32
There are lot food available but healthy food mostly you can prefer for a good health.I think that olive oil can good for a better health.If you take this type of healthy food you can not create issue related to the skin.
helen82
helen8210/07/2010 03:10:48
Here are some acne treatment by dieting:
1. Drink lots of water.

2. Eat lots of fruits, veggies, and high fiber foods.

3. Keep your fingers off of your pores and pimples. If you pop, you'll further spread bacteria into your open, oozing pores, making you break out faster and also causing deep, pock-like scarring all over your body! Eek!

4. Find out what type of skin you have - take a quiz online, just do a quick internet search for skin types. Examples would be dry skin, oily skin, mixed skin.

5. Use a hygiene technique reccomended for your skin type. You might need to moisturize more - in fact, people with oily skin NEED to moisturize. You might want to give yourself exfoliating face masks - I use one made out of Dead Sea minerals, it's really great, my skin is softer than ever before and it helped get rid of pimples that were hanging around from when I stopped breast feeding my daughter (hormones! sigh!).

Your hormones and any weight gain and weight loss, as well as your diet and stress levels, will impact your acne. Sometimes, it's also genetic - some people are just a little more pimply than others. But hormones and stress are especially crucial, and if you're constantly touching your face and using irritating creams and picking and popping away, you'll destroy your skin. Give it a break and wait. Maybe invest in some concealer, use a good skin routine, drink lots of water and just wait it out. Some creams will dry out and zap pills in the short term, but long-term wise, they'll keep coming back - nothing works quite like good lifelong skin care habits.
Hope it is helpful!
AndyT
AndyT10/07/2010 08:48:41
I agree with JS ... this is not the place to link to a website where every picture of food contains corpses.

Best regards,
Andy
helen82
helen8210/08/2010 03:29:20
Have you tried my suggested method?
Tatiana
Tatiana10/08/2010 08:25:56
helen - Hopefully the original poster sees the newest posts on this, but the original question was posted almost a year ago, so not sure how often the poster is checking this thread. You may also want to PM her if you want to make sure she sees it. :)
truffle
truffle11/17/2010 15:35:21
@sherrylouz - that's what I do too!
acneperfect
acneperfect10/11/2011 05:14:13
Vitamin B5 helps the body to reduce the release of oil. In mega doses, it is thought to clear and prevent future cases of acne. Is this true? There is not enough research on the topic and its long-term effects on your acne and your body to draw a clear informed conclusion. However, there are many people using it and they seem to be convinced that it works. It does prevent the body from releasing oil in excess so it would be a logical conclusion it would help in reducing acne but as to curing it, that remains to be proven.

*Edited by moderator to remove website promotion
laurahill
laurahill11/27/2011 20:10:50
Apply tea tree oil on your skin regularly and drink wheat grass juice twice in a week.This is best way to get rid of acne.
AlysonJayne
AlysonJayne11/30/2011 09:17:52
Please, please try zinc supplements. I used to get lots of spots, and started taking zinc after reading somewhere that it can be beneficial for acne sufferers. Within a couple of weeks not only had my spot production decreased but my overall skin condition was better as zinc helps with skin cell renewal and healing. Even though zinc doesn't stop spots altogether (I don't think that anything does if you're predisposed to them), it definitely lessens the impact.
charlotteday
charlotteday08/02/2012 04:33:14
Exercise and eliminating stress (like doing yoga) can help you. You can also [edit by staff] stop wearing make-up for now.
naturalskincarer
naturalskincarer01/27/2013 22:28:04
You can give Mosley prepare to eat good and healthy food avoid junk food i think Coconut Oil For Skin Carrot Seed Oil for Skin Apricot Kernel Oil For Skin Nourishing Honey. you can try these products defenetly see good result about your face acne problem.
Shailluis
Shailluis06/27/2014 01:20:59
avoid the use of oily foods ......and take only veg food.

This forum needs a moderator.

You need to be logged in or registered to post.