Join the conversation

what should i eat for energy 4 sports?

happykat27
Posted by happykat27 at 08/17/2009

i posted this in the general section, but this section seems better for it:

i play field hockey, and it's intense. i feel weak a lot from not eating meat, so what should i have to keep me fueled instead?

i'm allergic to most nuts, and strawberries and bananas... just to let you know, i guess. hahaha :)

any ideas?

Responses

starrynight
starrynight09/01/2009 10:10:47
You don't feel weak because of not eating meat, you feel weak because you have a poor diet.

Take a multivitamin with iron.

Also eat something carb rich. Try an energy bar.
kindlizard
kindlizard09/01/2009 15:39:48
Hey, don't eat energy bars. Those are crap and won't offer you anything for real. You may have to eat more when you exert yourself more. An alternative to nuts I find useful, since that is what I would choose as a pregame (soccer) snack, could be the nut you aren't allergic to (j/k). Maybe a small meal, nothing that will bog you down while playing, nor acidic, but something enough to keep you going. Maybe tempeh? If you like tempeh you can bake them to be crispy like I do, almost like french fries (or bakes really but you get the pic) and have it pre-game or practice. Protein rich, good consistency, and won't make you think about it during exercise, won't give indigestion or anything like that.

Also, while SN above suggests carbs, I will suggest proteins. They are the building block of muscles and in exercise you want to build muscle, so be sure to have enough protein (and veg protein are more balanced than animal protein, so don't think you're missing out that way). If you want to know what I do, just pm me and I'll be happy to get into it, including potential recipes that are easy for you or your folks to follow.

As Vegan for 15 years, most of those I play ball or hike actively, I'd be happy to let you know what works for me; just drop a pm.
gr8vegan
gr8vegan12/23/2009 02:39:53
I highly recommend Brendan Brasier's Book the Thrive Diet, it explains the food energy combos for long distance runners, you can tweak it for your endurance sport. All stuff can be simply prepared at home, he doesn't hawk his Vega product at all in it. Really eye opening amazing book about veggie fuel for sports.
krisirose
krisirose02/08/2010 17:53:20
you need to either eat carbs before, or protein after. if you eat protein before, it is more likely to weigh you down... i'm in the army, and i went through basic training eating mostly apples, mandrine oranges, more apples, beans, and rice. but if i had to choose one, i would choose carbs before, to give my body the energy to get through the exercise. then, if i'm completely weak in the knees because our instructor wanted to do 400 meter sprints (like 12 of them) then, i would make a tofu scramble. i have a really easy recipie for the microwave, if you want it.
JohnnySensible
JohnnySensible02/09/2010 01:09:45
I agree with gr8vegan.

Bradley Saul's site is also excellent - http://www.organicathlete.org/?page=about

For reading matter get a copy of Doug Graham's '80-10-10 Diet' - http://foodnsport.com/

louis
louis02/10/2010 15:22:52
I have used Nutrisport 90+ vegan pea protein- best mixed with cocoa to disguise the weird taste- good to mix as a shake after training.

Also nutritional yeast I find great for energy- put it on soups, stews, pasta etc.

I also use Spatone iron rich mineral water sachets- mix one day with orange juice.http://www.nelsonsnaturalworld.com/en-gb/uk/our-brands/spatone/

The book 'Becoming Vegan' available from Amazon has excellent chapter on nutrition for vegan athletes.

http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=R7FRvTyRF0cC&printsec=frontcover&dq=becoming+vegan&source=bl&ots=6jJMuW3Bnq&sig=EE3P-zfWhWxwOeESV3GZH8UuIa4&hl=en&ei=rz9zS-fqEJ2I0wT7xoynCw&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=1&ved=0CAwQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=&f=false

Also check out www.veganfitness.net/
truffle
truffle11/17/2010 15:58:08
I eat energy bars for lunch at work. But i guess it'll not work well for someone who plays field hockey coz more energy is needed
Heidi B.
Heidi B.11/18/2010 11:01:21
I also recommend the "Thrive Diet" book, as previously mentioned, but I would also recommend incorporating more raw fruits & veggies in your diet. A lot of fruit smoothies are made with bananas, but you can also use mangos as a base and perhaps add an orange and blueberries, plus lettuce leaves.
Jen Lyon
Jen Lyon11/19/2010 09:45:07
I reccommend Juice Plus Complete! It can be used as a Pre-workout drink: Slow releasing, low-glycemic index carbohydrates combine with high-quality plant-based proteins to help prepare you for exercise. It can also be used as a Post-Workout drink:which replenishes your energy levels with the balanced nutrition that your body needs.

You can order it at: www.jlyontakesjuiceplus.com

It is the best gift of health you could give yourself! Feel free to email me if you have any more questions. I take all of the products and I feel GREAT!
Stevie
Stevie11/19/2010 12:54:55
Is using postings such as the one above for blatant advertising allowed on this forum?
Tatiana
Tatiana11/19/2010 13:06:37
Stevie,

Whenever someone posts product information, I check the website, and if the product information is inappropriate for the site, I remove the post. By inappropriate I usually mean products that have nothing to do with the vegetarian lifestyle.

I checked this site and it didn't appear to be inappropriate.

Now it's important to note that just because the post is on the site doesn't mean that Happycow promotes any of these products or websites. If the links are not inappropriate I like to leave them so other forum users can check them out themselves to see if they get any value out of them.

A lot of Happycow members post products they recommend whether they work for a company or not and I think it's only fair to let you guys, as the members, make your own decisions about looking at these products.

If you have any questions about the going's on in the Health and Healing forum, please feel free to contact me. Thank you very much for voicing your concern.

...and on that note, Jen Lyon, would you care to express why this product is specifically beneficial for vegetarians and vegans?
Jen Lyon
Jen Lyon11/19/2010 16:53:53
Juice Plus is specifically beneficial for vegetarians and vegans because it provides additional and daily support of high-quality nutritiets. It consists of 17 different fruits, vegetables and grains in capsule or chewy form.

It is NOT a substitute for eating a wide variety of fruits, vegetables and grains. It is a way to help fill the gap between what we should eat and what we actually eat every day. The website that is provided is to share useful information to others. I am thankful that my son's occupational therapist shared this information with me!My family has seen significant benefits over the past three years on Juice Plus.

I mentioned Juice Plus Complete because I am a person that needs alot of energy myself and this plant based drink has helped me through my workouts at the gym. It is very hard to find high quality plant based energy and recovery drinks that actually work. Bear Grylls has been taking Juice Plus Products for 17 years and he even took it with him to the top of Mount Everest. He says "It filfills a key part of his nutrition with training and recovery needs.

If you would like to learn more about the value of Juice Plus, go to: www.jlyontakesjuiceplus.com

(Knowledge is powerful). I hope everyone is having a WONDERFUL week and keep eating a wide variety of fruits and vegetables. Rainbow diet is a key ingredient to health and wellness.

~Jen Lyon~
JohnnySensible
JohnnySensible11/20/2010 21:35:42
Well said Stevie!

Alleluia Jen!

+ 'Taking Juice Plus+ capsules every day provides the nutritional foundation we so desperately need - and that is so lacking in our diets today. It's a simple, smart solution you can really count on - because it's backed by clinical research.' +

Thank you for your dose of deep ignorance!

WARNING MLM SCAM - perfect for milky, meaty churchgoers who want to earn money from other idiotic church members.
Go deeper Tatania!
kindlizard
kindlizard11/21/2010 00:49:36
Tatiana, you have my respect in all cases, but I must say, you set yourself up for that one. You gave her the platform, the thread is no longer about nutritious ways to maintain high energy levels, but rather about an obvious commercial. A non-veg person who solely signed up w this site to shop their wares. Not cool, not truly worthwhile.

The best way is to take control of a well-rounded diet, be sure to have highly nutritious snacks available (preparation ~ but not more than it would take to order some crap online or buy something else at the store fwiw), and eat a lot as you are still growing anyway.
Heidi B.
Heidi B.11/21/2010 07:02:09
I am extremely leery of fruits, vegetables and grains in "capsule or chewy form".
I have to agree that this is a commercial.
Jen Lyon
Jen Lyon11/21/2010 15:50:17
I am sorry if I offended anyone on this website. That was not my intention. I was just answering Tatiana's question by sharing information that has been helpful for my family's health and wellness. If it is not for you, that is fine with me. Everyone has to do their own research and find out what works best for them and their family. I thought this website was about sharing information pertaining to a healthy lifestyle.

~Jen Lyon~
JohnnySensible
JohnnySensible11/21/2010 16:21:37
Sharing information - Yes

SPAMMING trashy MLM products - No

This WAS an interesting thread with high quality content - until 11/19/2010.
sbarash
sbarash02/03/2011 14:38:11
Juice Plus is not vegetarian. They use beef gelatin in the products. I don't believe the Juice Plus company ever states their products are vegetarian, let alone vegan.

Also Bear Grylls is a paid Juice Plus employee. Hardly credible..

Stephen
DaniPower
DaniPower08/16/2011 08:57:14
There are quite a few vegan energy boosting supplements out there. One of my vegan friends said that she had been using patches to help absorb the nutrients. I've used it several times when heading down the gym.

Hope this is of some help x

viepatch.com/products/vitamin-b12-plus-10-vie-patch/
Cascadian
Cascadian08/16/2011 13:41:09
http://www.veganfitness.net - Nice, knowledgeable folks there - go say hello!
energy223
energy22302/20/2012 02:01:42
Hi,everyone,thank you all for your valuable comments.I think if everyone take Energy eating food than you will be a gainer.Yuri Elkaim had written a good and knowledge able book Eating for Energy.
rawfoodbooks.info/198/yuri-elkaim-eating-for-energy-review

Forum moderated by Tatiana

You need to be logged in or registered to post.