Join the conversation

Vegetarian diet not working for me?

mihai_alexandru
Posted by mihai_alexandru at 07/27/2009

Hi all I have experimented with the vegetarian diet for a few months now. I am 17 years old and I wanted to do it for the "ethical" reason. Sadly I can clearly notice that I clearly do not "thrive" on this at all diet. I have gained weight on the vegetarian diet (normal range) but I do not feel good at all on it. My energy levels are just the same or even lower than when I was an omni. Most of the time after I eat I don't feel fully satiated, I feel more like 90% satiated and I continue to think about food. I think about food too much and I become irritable sometimes.

I have tried adding fish to my diet, and I felt better. But after 3 days of eating fish, I haven't eaten any today and I feel bad again.

What could be wrong? I eat a decent variety of food and I also eat eggs and cheese daily.

Maybe this diet is not for me? I used to eat a high meat diet before January 2009.

I think I'm getting enough protein. I do some weight training and my strength is just the same or even better than before.
My iron levels are normal and I also get enough zinc. I added flax seeds for Omega 3, but didn't feel better. So what could be the problem? I'm interested in your opinions, maybe somebody else has/had the same problem?

Responses

starrynight
starrynight09/01/2009 02:25:34
Sounds like it is just a mental thing.
Barleycorn
Barleycorn10/30/2009 19:47:34
I note your motive was ethics, not health. Ask yourself whether there is a subconscious belief that your health will suffer if you make a 'sacrifice'.
In the West, many if not most people eat around three times as much protein as is good for them.
There are two types of trendy diet books - those that imply we are all being poisoned by something in the soil, air or water - and those, the exact opposite, which take the line that we are all today starved of something that is now extracted in the food manufacture.At 78, 50 years a vegetarian, I'm beginning to realise I need more exercise and hard work.There are dangers in a carnivorous or omnivorous diet - many people are getting too much iron, for example.In order to conceal this, meat marketing boards try to create 'anaemia scares', quite illogically, since anaemia is shortage of blood, not iron.Or call meat a 'brain food', and promote it for infants. There are not enough vegetarians to concern them, but they are worried at the trend to white meat. Baby formula firms tell similar lies to stop mothers breastfeeding. My advice - daily walks in the countryside, no junk food, no pills or supplements not prescribed medically, make your diet changes slowly (perhaps in stages over several years), but NEVER go back to a food you have decided against. I gave up fish and seafood in about 1970, eggs about 1978, and would no more return to them than (say) cardboard or crushed light-bulbs.
Apart from weighing 90kg and eating too much, my health is pretty good.
ronikai
ronikai11/13/2009 04:31:33
Hi Alexandru. It sounds like what you're asking for is encouragement to stop being vegetarian and start eating meat again.

From your posting, it sounds like perhaps your family is still eating meat and of course, most of your friends eat meat. So, would you like to join them again and eat meat? It sounds like you would.

It IS important to listen to your body. At the same time, you are still living with your family and susceptible to their influence. I wonder if what you are expressing is the difficulty of a teenager who wants to do the right thing but is being faced with a lot of opposition.

It's up to you, my friend. There are plenty of vegans who are thriving athletes (look at Carl Lewis). Certainly, you're going to get everything you need from an ovo-lacto diet, and studies have shown that a vegan diet with some form of supplementation provides adequate nutrition.

Hope you thrive!

Forum moderated by Tatiana

You need to be logged in or registered to post.