Join the conversation

Any vegan families / pregnant ladies here?

Sandora
Posted by Sandora at 12/03/2013

Hello Veggies from everywhere!

I'm living in Cologne, Germany and I'm in my 17th week of pregnancy!

As my veganism and pregnancy is a BIG Topic for all the smart People in my family, working environment, friends and so on I'm looking for pregnant ladies or vegan mums and dads to talk to about babystuff and veggiestuff ;-)

Respond to this Topic or pm me, if you want to share experiences or tell me your Story!! :-)

SO EXCITED FOR MY CUTE BABY :)

Responses

Cascadian
Cascadian12/03/2013 09:27:55
Hi!

I have 3 great kids who have all been vegan from the start, born to vegan parents. They are now aged 16, 13 and 11. While there are definitely other vegan parents here on HappyCow, I suggest visiting http://forum.theppk.com - as they have a pretty active community of vegan parents there.

Got any specific questions?
Veganwithavengance
Veganwithavengance12/04/2013 20:18:47
We should always adopt. Just like animals we typically call "pets" many humans need to be adopted and given loving families. Yes I understand making your own is a great thing but sometimes it is important to consider those whose parents have given them up and need a good home : )

As an adoptee myself I am very thankful to have had a good loving home and family around me but many don't have that and could really use it.
savetheanimals
savetheanimals12/05/2013 01:46:09
I have to disagree with you Veganwithavengance. Of course we should adopt pets from a no kill shelter but, I think, unless their is a reason we can't, we should have sex and have a baby that shares our blood. With pets it is all about rescuing them but, with humans their is a lot more to think about.

How a human was raised is going to have a big impact on their ideas. When you adopt you have a part of their history you don't know about. I want my kids to be vegan and to be exposed to my ideas first. I am going to teach them critical thinking skills. They are individuals and should think for themselves but, I want to teach them before other people do. I want my ideas to last through them. Life is constantly teaching new things. As individuals I expect they won't agree with me on everything.

I am not planing to have kids soon but, I eventually want kids that share my blood. I think all vegans should have kids that share their blood. I am white and am proud of my race. I also want my kids to be white. Their is nothing wrong with being proud of your race and I think everyone should be proud to be whatever race they are. They should want kids of their same race if they want kids. They should want to spread their genes in the best way possible.
Veganwithavengance
Veganwithavengance12/09/2013 20:03:23
That is a very common thought that we can raise great children but if we truly look at the world in which we live, we can see that is not always the case. Plus you can find plenty of adoptees that are under 1 year old as well.

We really have to think about our impact on this earth. With 7 billion of us already and the earth steadily being overwhelmed we cannot really afford to continue breeding right now. We may want kids but the place where we and a whole lot of other people live cannot sustain us. Fix the planet first and then maybe we can think about having kids.

“Pride should be reserved for something you achieve or obtain on your own, not something that happens by accident of birth. Being Irish isn't a skill... it's a [censored]ing genetic accident. You wouldn't say I'm proud to be 5'11"; I'm proud to have a pre-disposition for colon cancer.” - George Carlin

I would rather give someone a good home and try to raise them right than further put strain on the planet for my own wants. Even if that kid already has history I would rather try and make their new life better. Plus if I was so concerned about racial purity (which in fact I am not and find that idea to be repulsive) I could easily find plenty of white children who need adopting. Just like you can find purebreds in a shelter.
rae*of*sunshine
rae*of*sunshine12/22/2013 11:48:55
We were vegetarian for years, and became vegan when I was 5-6 months pregnant. Raising our now-20 month old son the same :)
trinitybourne
trinitybourne01/08/2014 13:50:55
My son is now 14 years old. I enjoyed a really healthy vegan pregnancy back then with lots of fresh health greens. There is lots of info out there these day. I was sort of winging it alone then.

Just wanted say way-ta-go! Your little baby is so blessed...
ahimsa32fa
ahimsa32fa01/09/2014 08:44:41
I agree with Veganwithavengance...despite the ravings of the religious right and corporate politicians who want a world full of people who will work for slave wages, there is a limit to how many people this planet can sustain. Rather an important issue, though it may be a moot point unless we actually do something about global warming...
The Hammer
The Hammer01/13/2014 19:40:53
One 4 year old vegan son, born of vegan parents. Healthy as a horse, people are bewildered because he is so healthy and tall BUT DOESNT DRINK COW MILK !
I take care of the B12 with vit pills, but for the rest is just normal food. Oh, and he just LOVES a piece of fresh tofu with tomato sauce.
The hardest part of raising vegan children are the outsiders who constantly are "worried" if your child gets enough protesin and calcium, etc. ;-)

You need to be logged in or registered to post.