Join the conversation

Petition to President - ban meat in school

shaqdool
Posted by shaqdool at 03/12/2013

I created a petition to stop meat in schools and prisons:

wh.gov/wRha

Please read it and sign if you believe and pass on the word!

Responses

ahimsa32fa
ahimsa32fa03/25/2013 08:15:13
Don't see a way to view or sign your petition...

Your effort is appreciated, but the only thing that will work is consumer demand, and this is controlled my the meat and dairy industries in schools and in the media...
alaina616
alaina61603/25/2013 13:10:47
I don't think this would go over well. I think an effort to ban junk food, soda, foods with too high salt, fat, or sugar contact would be more realistic. Also maybe a petition to bad meats with growth hormones or that has been given antibiotics.
savetheanimals
savetheanimals03/27/2013 12:22:08
All you have to do is copy and paste this link: wh.gov/wRha Make and account and sign the petition. It is due by the 30th (there is no way it is going to get the number of signatures it needs) but I think we should still sign it just to show that we do want to get rid of meat (all animal products) in school (everywhere)
Veganwithavengance
Veganwithavengance09/19/2013 12:20:20
Obama doesn't care about anyone but himself and those with money around him. Just like all politicians. Petitions don't save animals and cannot because those who they are intended for generally don't care about them. There are some smaller case where yes a petition along with other action could prove effective but when dealing with the POS err POTUS, they don't care.

Fight for more animal free options and connect school districts and local fruit and veggie farms and CSAs to provide cheaper produce to schools.
Happy wild horse
Happy wild horse02/01/2014 20:02:16
Good work but I think it would be better to just ban meat anywhere!hope it's passes through good luck:)
hushpuppie00
hushpuppie0002/13/2014 13:37:25
I feel that this petition is unrealistic and would technically be constitutionally worng. By banning meat you are taking away a protein source from children and forcing your views on them which in turn is denying their right.
Plus the land you would need to support this agriculture jump is impossibly unattainable. So based on supply and demand the petition would fail.
Just a thought.
TheVegetableAddict
TheVegetableAddict02/14/2014 09:34:52
I personally support the idea, obvioulsy it didn't go through because the link expired, but I like the idea. I would have to sort of agree with @hushpuppie00 because limiting what people eat is unconstitutional. Americans have free speech as well as a right to eat whatever we want. If I were in charge, I would ban it. In fact, I wouldv'e banned the production of slaughterhouses ages ago, but since we live in a "free" country we have to respect other people's views on health. Sorry for going on and on, but notice how the government subsidises meat and dairy? Obviously meat and fish is the norm. And it will be here to stay for a while. On a side note, I truly believe that veganism will gain even more popularity over the next few decades. And people will start implementing it into their life. Forget the governments, forget the politicians, do your best to eat ethically and to also encourage as many folks as you can to eat healthy.
Jr-chiunChen
Jr-chiunChen02/15/2014 20:50:46
Good idea. Norway also lets their army eat vegetarian once a week. But I also cannot see it???
ahimsa32fa
ahimsa32fa02/16/2014 10:31:48
To hushpuppie

Your thinking on land use is incorrect.

It takes between 5 and 25 times as much land to support the average American diet as it does to support a vegan (it varies with climate conditions and various crops).

There are thousands of websites and hundreds of books that make this info available.

And by the way, meat (and dairy) are not the only, nor are they the best sources of protein.
hushpuppie00
hushpuppie0002/17/2014 19:43:02
@ahimsa32fa
Actually as I stated in another post it would be impossible to feed the same amount of people on the same amount of farm land based purely on crops vs. animals. Plus if you do take climate into the debate then animals are able to survive in climate and soil conditions that plants can't. This in turn utilizes land that would be unavailable to crop farmers, even with fertilizing.

Plus as stated in another post. The amount of farmland is not only limited but shrinking due to the growing population of the world. So trying to feed more people on less farmland is not a smart argument. Cattle farmers however are able to efficiently handle the cattle and seperate the processes involved in growing the cattle into different industries. This allows them to maximize the use of their land and increase the production of meat. Therefore feeding more people on the limited and shrinking amount of land we have available.
The Hammer
The Hammer02/19/2014 21:06:31
Good idea but naive. You might as well write a letter to Santa Claus.
Please put your effort in something that is achievable. Choose a realistic goal.In other words, go lobby at your local schools for more vegan options and less meat options.
If you can achieve even the smallest victory other people will join your cause and maybe over a few years your petition to the President might have effect.

You need to be logged in or registered to post.