Join the conversation

kindly killing????????

emama
Posted by emama at 10/21/2011

Okay, so it's been a while since I have brought up a topic, so first I'm going to say Hello to all you Veggies that I have missed  Okay now to get to the issue ……..mice! To be more specific, dead mice and the way they were killed.
I understand we cannot have them running around and by all means I don't want them running around, nor do I usually care for them, but I was wondering if there was a way to get rid of them without the harsh and quite frankly unpleasant way of trapping and having to see a mangled mouse in the morning or poisoning them and having to smell it, where ever it may be dead lying somewhere or in something.
To be honest it creeps me out, Of Corse I love animals but …mice… rats really??? I dont want to kill them but they are not welcomed to my office or soy puffs,Help!!!!

Responses

Tatiana
Tatiana10/21/2011 12:26:59
I have not used this product but I've heard some things like this work well:

http://www.amazon.com/Smart-Mouse-Trap-Humane-Mousetrap/dp/B000YFA7HW

Make sure you scope a good relocation area for your mice beforehand :)
Chuck
Chuck10/21/2011 13:19:07
We had a house guest once and I used the exact same trap Tatiana just linked. I set it out in the evening, turned off the lights, and caught him within an hour. I took him to a wooded area a few miles away and released him.
happycowgirl
happycowgirl10/21/2011 22:59:23
Thank you for asking about a humane way to deal with mice. They are absolutely wonderful animals who have intricate social interactions, feel joy, sorrow, pain, loneliness... just like us.

I have trapped and relocated many wild mice. I've rehabilitated injured mice and those that could not be relocated I've kept as pets. I know all about these guys.

The trap above is a very good one. PM me if you have any questions whatsoever about what to do. And thank you so much for doing the right thing.
emama
emama10/24/2011 12:49:51
Hey, thank s guys!!! You know sometimes my ignorance can really get the best of me.. I had no idea they were that intelligent. I talked to my boss and asked him if we could try them, he said he would look into it; I'm going to be persistent on this one for sure. Thank you all so much!!

~E
AConferenceOfPears
AConferenceOfPears10/07/2012 13:53:11
As the only person at my previous workplace who had any sympathy/empathy whatsoever with animals, when we found we had a mice "problem" (their words, not mine!), the bosses planned to call in Rentokil and just kill them.

I got together with a few other people who at least didn't like the idea of poison being put down around the office, and we asked the bosses to let me have a go first.

I bought five humane traps, set them in strategic positions, placed chocolate in them (they prefer that to cheese!) and within 2 days, had five perfectly unharmed safe little furry animals happily chomping away on the chocolate and waiting patiently for me to carry them to the local park to release.

Yes, it's time-consuming because you have to keep checking the traps and then moving the animals, but it is a far better option than killing them (for both you and the mouse!)
groovychick
groovychick10/07/2012 17:08:22
I heard about some thing that you put in your house that makes rats/mice thirsty so they go find water. I do not know much about it. I don't understand it when people say animals are "killed in a humane way". There is no such thing, either way the animal is being killed.

You need to be logged in or registered to post.