Wonderful is the feeling one gets stepping into the streets San Francisco. Cool breeze and sunshine, people walking everywhere, a corner market here, a cozy coffee shop there. Everywhere the city exudes vibrance, hip-ness, progress, cultural diversity, vegetarian restaurants, and vegan cafes. San Francisco is a small city with a big heart and a bohemian soul, and it's totally vegetarian friendly.
San Francisco is a vegetarian food lover's paradise.
Spreading just 7 miles in the long direction, the city is a peninsula surrounded by water on 3 sides and connected to its bay area neighbors by bridges - Marin county to the north, oakland and suburbs to the east.
Unique lines of houses stacked tightly next to each other up and down the the many hilly streets. Great views of the city, ocean, and bridges can be seen on these streets that are higher up on the hill.
A people-friendly city, locals and visitors alike can travel San Francisco by public transportation (buses and subway) or by walking. Grab a muni bus and bart subway map, and get ready to explore the unique neighborhood districts, shopping mecca, eclectic cafes, and best of all, great vegetarian dining!
This city is also a vegetarian food lover's paradise. Many pure vegetarian restaurants in San Francisco serve multi-ethnic and innovative tastes in vegetarian cuisine. In San Francisco vegetarian restaurants, one can find anything from organic raw foods to chic vegan fusion cuisine, vegetarian Chinese to vegan Japanese cuisine, and so much more. Even non vegetarian restaurants in San Francisco usually offer at least a few vegetarian-friendly dishes.
A handful of must-try veggie restaurants in San Francisco...
- Millennium - Upscale San Francisco vegetarian restaurant serving gourmet dinners with exquisite wine pairing
- Cha-Ya - Healthy vegan Japanese cuisine at 2 locations in the San Francisco Bay area.
- Herbivore - Casual and contemporary dining featuring scrumptious vegan fusion breakfast, lunch, and dinners at 3 locations in the Bay area.
- Gracias Madre - Delectable Mexican food - all vegan
...more San Francisco vegetarian and vegan restaurants at bottom of page
San Francisco natural food markets with fresh choices...
- Farmers markets throughout the week at various major destinations, including the Ferry Plaza and Market Street near Union Station
- Health food stores and markets, including Rainbow Grocery, Other Avenues, and more
Find a comprehensive & up-to-date list of health food stores and vegetarian restaurants
in San Francisco, San Francisco Bay Area, and nearby cities, at:
HappyCow's Guide to San Francisco vegetarian restaurants and health food markets
San Francisco is full of fun outdoor activities to enjoy
Golden Gate Bridge - See the world famous bridge in all its glory and stay for the gorgeous bay views
Wine country - Visit the nearby Napa Valley, take a tour of a winery, and sample some regional & specialty wines
- Union Station - Shop for clothes and souvenirs, ride the cable trolley up a hilly street, watch street performers, or attend the theatre
- China Town - Talk in sights of pagoda style buildings and get a bite of Chinese pastries and vegetarian cuisine
- Golden Gate Park - Stroll through the botanical garden, Japanese tea garden amongst a forest of towering trees
- Presidio - Take photos of the palace and take in the marina view
- Haight Ashbury - See the old hangout of famous hippies and rockers including the Grateful Dead, Janis Joplin, and friends
- Castro - Art movie house, mecca of gay culture
- Mission District - Find a lively blend Hispanic population mixed with young hipsters and get something yummy to eat