Here’s an easy recipe for some delish burger patties from our newest HappyCow blogger, Julie – www.juliehyde.net
Makes: 4 burger patties
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 30 minutes
¼ cup of millet
1 cup of water
1 carrot washed, peeled and grated
1 potato washed, peeled and grated
1 onion diced
2 cloves of garlic
2 tablespoon of wholemeal spelt flour
1 tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil
1/2 teaspoon of mustard seeds
1 tablespoon of ground chia seeds soaked in ¼ cup of water
½ teaspoon of ground cumin
½ teaspoon of ground coriander
1 stalk of fresh rosemary chopped
Salt and pepper
1. Preheat oven to 180 C degrees (or 350 F degrees).
2. Bring millet and water to the boil, then simmer for approx 30 minutes.
3. In a frying pan, heat oil, sprinkle in mustard seeds, add onions and garlic and sauté for a few minutes.
4. Add carrots and potato to the pan and mix to soften.
5. Sprinkle in the cumin, coriander and rosemary.
6. In a large mixing bowl combine the millet and the ingredients from the frying pan along with the salt and pepper.
7. Mix in the chia seeds. This will be your egg replacer.
8. Add the flour and fold gently.
9. With your hand make large balls out of the mix and then flatten to burger patties.
10. Line a baking tray with parchment paper and place the burger patties on it – see before picture below.
11. Cook for 30 minutes turning the burgers half way through.
12. When burgers are starting to crisp on the outside, serve up and enjoy!